It’s been a pretty quiet week on the Shelves because I’ve been occupied elsewhere. My father had open heart surgery last week at The Cleveland Clinic (he’s at home now, resting comfortably, with my mom and his dog) and it was pretty tense and hectic. I spent a lot of time walking around The Cleveland Clinic — it’s one of the best hospitals in the world and they take amazing care of patients and families. They also have an amazing art collection, and I couldn’t resist taking a few pictures for Saturday Snapshot. Please click on the photos to see them full size.

21 comments for “Saturday Snapshot

1. November 19, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’m glad you’re dad is doing so well. The sculptures are amazing!

2. November 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

The art is so creative rather than traditional. It probably helps get patients’, and families’, minds off the illness. Hope your dad recovers quickly. Here’s My Saturday Snapshot

3. November 19, 2011 at 11:37 am

I hope and pray your family is well! Love the art – especially the letter art!

4. November 19, 2011 at 12:07 pm

That is wonderful artwork! It’s nice that they give the patients’ families something different to look at than the norm. I hope his recovery continues to go well!

5. November 19, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Glad to hear your Dad is resting comfortably. The sculptures are wonderful! Have a lovely Thanksgiving.

6. November 19, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Cleveland Clinic. It’s certainly the place I’d want to go with any significant health problem. You are so lucky to have had your dad in such good hands!

7. Amy
    November 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I’m happy to know your dad is home after his surgery and recovering. Best wishes to him to continue feeling better. The sculptures and art work are amazing and so interesting. They’re a good distraction when you’re waiting for news of a loved one from doctors, too.

8. November 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

That is some art collection, I can see why you would take photos of it. And best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dad.

9. November 19, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Glad to hear your dad is doing o.k., love the sculptures.

November 19, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Thanks, everyone. I think everyone is a lot more relaxed, now that he’s at home.

Leslie, their collection is large enough that they have self-guided walking tours of the building! It’s really amazing. When my father was in CVICU, we would navigate by the artwork (go past the Mostly Mozart poster, turn right just after that awful Roy Lichtenstein print…). There’s more on the collection here.

11. November 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Sending prayers for your dad to have a quick recovery!

That art work is fabulous!!

12. Eva
    November 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Great art.
    Best of luck to your father.

13. November 19, 2011 at 5:07 pm

so glad to know your father’s surgery went well (or, that the hectic part is over), and that you’re so happy with the care he got.

The art installation at the hospital is striking!

14. November 19, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Those are just awesome. Good news that your dad is doing well.

15. November 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Do the rows of words make a message? I also like the statue made of letters linked together. Hope your Dad keeps on getting better.

16. November 19, 2011 at 7:37 pm

That is some AMAZING art, especially to be found in a hospital. Wow. The hanging letters idea reminds me of that strip of numeric sequences in The Matrix movies.
    Wishing your father a complete and full recovery.
    — Cip

17. November 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I hope your dad is well on the road to recovery and is back to full health as soon as possible! That artwork is really cool. It’s awesome for hospitals to provide artwork like that to provide interesting things for both patients and visitors. My favorite I think is the one with the two swirls on the wall. 🙂

18. November 19, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Oh I’m so glad your dad is home and doing well. What a tough week it must have been for you taking care of both of your parents and keeping your chin up!

Thank you for sharing the sculptures – I could get lost in each piece; especially the alphabet man

19. November 20, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I’m glad your father is recovering well. I love the artworks too- especially that first one- I love the shape and flow- they’ve even done a great job with the lighting.

20. November 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Those are amazing..!

21. November 23, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I’m glad your dad’s doing well. I’m amazed that a hospital has such a great art collection.