Saturday Snapshot!

By Lisa. Filed in Saturday Snapshot  |

Last week, I had a horrible flight home from California. I left Orange County at 9:30 pm and landed in Atlanta at 4:30 am with a 3 hour layover. I normally love a red-eye, because I sleep really well on planes, but this was just nuts.

The trains were down for maintenance, so I had to hoof it from Terminal T to Terminal C. The underground tunnels are kind of spooky, that late at night. I’m not sure whether it’s because there are so few people there, or because anyone is there at all! But they had a lovely sculpture display by African artists, and I had the chance to take a few pictures:

1. Comment by bermudaonion (Kathy):

As many times as I’ve been in ATL, I don’t think I’ve ever seen those lovely sculptures.

2. Comment by Burgandy Ice:

Eerie thinking of finding beautiful sculptures suddenly under those icky circumstances. It’s cool you took advantage of the moment, definitely, but I’m sorry it was such a long night!!!

3. Comment by Eugenia O'Neal:

I like the top one best but I know what you mean about being in a place where coming across one or two people is almost as bad as not seeing a single soul. Not sure I would have stopped to take pix!

4. Comment by Kay:

Those are very nice. I’ve been in the Atlanta airport several times too, but don’t think I’ve seen them. I’m amazed that you were functioning at 4:30 AM. I’d have been too foggy-headed to manage. LOL

5. Comment by trish:

It’s so wonderful when tunnels are decorated like that! It certainly makes the commute a little more pleasant.

6. Comment by Eva @View from the Hillside:

Wonderful sculptures, but I can understand that the corridors were a bit spooky.

7. Comment by Debbie Rodgers @Exurbanis:

Cool beans! Do the sculptures have names?

8. Comment by Cheryl:

Under those circumstances, I’m surprised you could appreciate the art! But it is lovely–thanks for sharing.

9. Comment by Lisa:

Kathy, it’s a temporary installation, but it’s in the corridors between train stops on the lower level. Since most people take the trains to cover the distance, they probably don’t get a lot of foot traffic.

Debbie, I’m sure they have names, but I was too tired to notice.

Eva, if you look down the hallway in the second photo, there is no one there but me. When have you ever been alone in an airport? It was creepy.

10. Comment by Vicki:

Very interesting, I especially love the second one!!

11. Comment by Lisa@ButteryBooks:

Oh yes, I remember those. Luckily I wasn’t the only one down there when I saw them. Creepy!

12. Comment by Alyce:

Nice that you were able to enjoy the sculptures. I don’t think I’d want to be down there alone at night either though.

13. Comment by Paulita:

I can’t believe you were awake enough to take pictures. Interesting art. Here’s Mine

14. Comment by irene:

Great distraction.

15. Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea:

Cool art.

Haven’t been through Atlanta airport in over 13 years. Not a fan of that airport or Delta.

16. Comment by Cathy:

Like the art, but (like Diane) I’m not a fan of the Atlanta airport! LOL

17. Comment by Cipriano:

That is truly wonderful art, especially to be found anywhere in an airport!
    I must be a true anomaly but I actually welcome delays in airports. I have never been able to figure out why I am this way. Quite possibly I was dropped as a baby!
    I just do, I don’t mind at all. I hate the opposite, the running and barely catching a flight etc. Or the hustle between connecting flights.
    Thanks for stopping to snap these pics for us.

18. Comment by Amanda:

I’ve been there a couple of times and think that walkway is really nice. I always like stretching my legs when getting off a plane (or before in anticipation of being cramped).