I am going to be traveling all day Saturday, so I don’t know if I will get a chance to add this to the Linky, but at least I’ll have the post scheduled. I am in Sheffield, England this week, training at our laboratory here. One of the trainees was born here and has been kind enough to show me around the city. The city tour seems to include a large number of pubs. Hmmm. Last night, he invited me out to hear one of his mates at a local venue called The Hop. Great pub and some really amazing artwork:

And I wouldn’t want to happen upon this after one pint too many:

And more street art! This is right across from our hotel and I love the way they have turned an ordinary brick wall into a bit of charming public art. We passed another, similar piece featuring a bunch of buzzards (!) but sadly, I didn’t have the camera with me.

23 comments for “Saturday Snapshot

1. May 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Nice pics! I’ve never had the opportunity to go to England, maybe someday. Enjoy your trip!

2. May 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

That is some decorations. The pink one looks like it’s spending a little too much time pubing. Love the street art. So cool.

3. Kay
    May 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Is that pink thing an octopus or an alien? It looks a little worse for the wear. LOL

4. May 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Oh…I don’t think I’d want to happen on that pink thing sober! Either the image, which makes my head hurt, or the creature come to life! Someone was very creative there…

5. May 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Whoa! That first shot is especially intense.

6. May 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Ohh the blue lighting at that pub and the painted brick wall looks really cool! That squishy pink mural though, not so much – ew.

7. May 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Talents abound. The pink one is like cubism but in smooth folds. Interesting.

8. May 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I especially like the lighting in the building and how it highlights the art!

9. May 5, 2012 at 6:06 pm

What interesting pictures in the city of Sheffield. And I like the blue lights of the pub!

10. May 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Love the art work and the lighting!! Looks like a great place to relax with friends!

11. May 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm

How awesome! I agree that the pink thing is a little creepy, though. πŸ™‚

I love that street art is so popular in Europe. I saw it everywhere, and it was all really good; a lot of it was political/social statements as well, which is I think is a lot better than some of the graffiti I drive past in my hometown.

12. May 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Great artwork…I think that one WAS inspired by one pint too many. πŸ™‚

Here’s my Snapshot

13. May 5, 2012 at 11:12 pm

That is some incredible street art . Glad you chose to share it.

14. May 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Love it when city administrators encourage public art … and I love it when the taggers leave the art unadulterated … if you know what I mean! Sounds like the city tour was fun!

15. May 6, 2012 at 12:11 am

Lovely shots, I particularly like the first one in the pub. Great that you are getting out and about, and not just working.

16. May 6, 2012 at 5:54 am

When you said British snapshots, I’m picturing Big Ben, traditional shots. Looks like you found some of the unexplored territory.

17. May 6, 2012 at 9:46 am

I like the street art, adds character and dimension. That pink thing would be a good conversation starter.

18. May 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

very cool! I have been to England many times but never to Sheffield – I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip!

19. May 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

How great to have someone who knows there way around town to give you the grand tour … even if there were quite a few pub stops. I love the street art. It’s such a great way to remake a drab building into something special.

20. May 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’ve always loved the art you can find painted on the sides of buildings.

21. May 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Fantastic images. Absorbing the atmoshere and culture when traveling is something that stays with me. These pix certainly evoke the climate of the area. That last image made me think Charles DeGaulle? (in England!!) Prince Charles? Everyman? Quite an arresting image.

πŸ™‚

22. May 8, 2012 at 12:15 am

You know what’s so funny?
    Before reading your caption — when I saw the second photo I instantly said to myself — “I have felt this way on many a night of excessive beer drinking!”
    Then I read your comment about a pint too many!
    The brick facade is just amazing!

May 8, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Pooch, the brick art is actually a steelworker — Sheffield was a big steel capital in its heyday, so it makes perfect sense.