Saturday Snapshot!

I slept through Saturday Snapshot last week, but I still have a few pics from Key West left to share! These are from my stroll through the Key West Cemetery. I am a big fan of old cemeteries, and this one has a lot of character.

First, the most famous epitaph in the cemetery:

And another favorite of mine. It’s a little hard to read, so you might have to click through to the larger size.

Most people don’t do epitaphs these days. It’s something boring like “Beloved This and That.” I think I want to buck the trend and come up with something clever for my tombstone.

19 comments for “Saturday Snapshot!

1. September 29, 2012 at 1:19 am

Cemeteries are interesting places. I rarely get to one though. I do love that first epitaph. Not original but still great.

2. September 29, 2012 at 1:27 am

LOL, I feel like I shouldn’t be laughing at headstones, but those are great. I love that there is humor, even in a cemetery. The “I told you I was sick” one, that was completely unexpected, and I think that one is my favorite of the two. Thanks for sharing more of your Key West pics 🙂 Here’s My Saturday Snapshot

3. September 29, 2012 at 3:36 am

You will think I am making this up — but I’m not.
    This morning I got in the elevator, I live on the top floor here [14, actually it’s 13] ….. elevator went down, a woman got on at about 10th floor or so. Then it stopped again, and a priest, with the collar on and everything, was about to get on, and he fumbled a bit and said, “Is this going up?” and in one of those moments when I am witty, I said, “You probably are, but the rest of us aren’t.”
    The woman laughed. This priest guy did not even smile. It was a quiet ride down.
    [And he parks right almost next to me, I had to walk with him. Yeesh!]
    You had to be there, I guess.

4. September 29, 2012 at 6:23 am

I did a double take with the first photo – the hand underneath the inscription at first glance looked like someone ‘flipping the bird’ – it kind of goes with the sentiment as well!!

Now you’ve got me thinking about the funny quote for my headstone!

5. September 29, 2012 at 6:26 am

Those markers certainly do have character! I’m not clever enough to come up with something witty for my tombstone.

6. September 29, 2012 at 6:40 am

Love this, definitely individuals with a sense of humor.

7. September 29, 2012 at 7:02 am

Great photos. Only in Key West do they continue to joke after they’re dead. Cipriano, I liked your joke and my priest would have laughed at it. He writes a pun a week because he loves wordplay. Here’s Mine

8. September 29, 2012 at 7:37 am

Lots of character there, which makes them so interesting. I think comedian Spike Milligan had ‘I told you I was ill’, or something very similar, on his grave. By co-incidence, I’ve been looking at graves as well… My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/DncFP

9. Kaye
    September 29, 2012 at 7:42 am

Everytime my hubby falls asleep during a movie and I wake him up, he says he’s just resting his eyes. I can’t believe someone actually put that on a tombstone.

10. September 29, 2012 at 7:42 am

Haha those are funny! Putting a smile on people’s faces is such a nice way to be remembered.

11. September 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

Wow! I love these epitaphs…and you’re right. Coming up with something creative is the way to go…pun intended.

Thanks for sharing…and for visiting my blog.

12. September 29, 2012 at 11:30 am

Those are great! I like finding unusual names too.

13. September 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Hilarious! Now I want to visit key West more than ever…gotta love Cipriano’s encounter with the priest, eh?

14. September 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Ha! Love those! Must start thinking of something…

15. September 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm

what a funny adventure you’ve had, love Cipriano’s experience too. Some priests just have no sense of humor. I’m not sure my family would go for it, I’ve always wanted them to play, ding dong the witch’s dead.

16. September 29, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Great head(stone)shots!)….Happy week-end??

17. September 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Haha! I’ll have to get thinking … I love the ‘just resting my eyes’ stone …

18. September 30, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I’m one of those people that finds reading old headstones interesting … mostly in a historical sense but sometimes they can be quite entertaining as you’ve just pointed out.

19. September 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I loved those!! Who knew they could be so humorous!!