This week, I was looking for some graphics files and came across a folder of photos from a trip I took to Paris back in 2005. This was a birthday trip, with a friend who was also celebrating a monumental birthday, her sister, and a couple of other friends. We had a wonderful week and I have a ton of wonderful pictures, but this first one is of the birthday brunch we put together with things from one of the lovely fresh-air markets:

Doesn’t that look tempting? Click on the photo to see a larger version were you can really drool over those tempting morsels.

One of the things I love about cities is the way that they have so many hidden spaces — little gardens, parks, walkways, places that you don’t see from the major paths through town. This is a little glimpse of a garden we fell in love with:

So, those are my photos for this last Saturday Snapshot of the year. I think for next year, I need to resolve to get my camera charged up and take more pictures!

16 comments for “Saturday Snapshot

1. December 31, 2011 at 10:34 am

What a fun trip! Did you rent an apartment? I’m hoping to make it back to Paris this year, but it will probably be just for a weekend.

December 31, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yes! We rented an apartment and it became our default way of vacationing. So much easier and calmer than a hotel. Plus, we were right in the middle of a residential area, so instead of tourists and taxis every morning, we got dads walking their littles to school and corner markets where the regulars stopped for coffee. It was so nice.

3. December 31, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Love the pics! I just wanna dive in at taste all that yummy food! Have a happy New Year! I think I’m gonna join you in Saturday Snap Shot next year, I took some awesome pics on vacation, can’t wait to share! Catch you soon!

4. December 31, 2011 at 1:24 pm

The food and the garden look lovely! I’ve heard from several people now that renting an apartment is the way to go. Hopefully someday I’ll get the chance. 🙂

The server for my site has been down this morning (which is frustrating since I have no control over it). My apologies though! I’m still trying to get around to visit all of the Saturday posts.

5. December 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Awesome photos…The food looks just delicious and the garden looks like a great place to just spend some quiet time. Love the table & chairs in the apartment too. Sounds like a great trip!

December 31, 2011 at 4:55 pm

An apartment really is a great way to go — it’s less expensive (especially for a group) and you can economize by having breakfast or lunch in your own kitchen, and keep the fridge loaded with beverages and snacks. Plus, you don’t feel so surrounded by people all of the time, the way you do in a hotel.

7. December 31, 2011 at 5:20 pm

What a memorable feast that must be. I had my birthday in Paris in 2010, hope to have it again there in 2013. We rented an apartment last time- so much better than a hotel. I love their little patches of greenery too.

8. December 31, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Lucky you to visit Paris! Very nice photos! Have a wonderful new year.

9. December 31, 2011 at 7:08 pm

That table looks very yummy indeed! Looks very Parisian. Hope you have a wonderful new year and thank you for stopping by my blog.

10. December 31, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Oh, I so want to go to Paris! What lovely shots, and what a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing…and for visiting my blog.

11. December 31, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I love the garden picture.

12. January 1, 2012 at 1:53 am

I absolutely love finding those little garden spaces. And if I can, I take a few minutes to hide out there and read, since I’m always carrying a book in my bag!

13. January 1, 2012 at 8:15 am

I went to Paris this past spring and fell in love with it! What wonderful memories.

14. January 1, 2012 at 10:29 am

That first picture did make me drool! I love the whimsical feel of the food with the candle, all set by a gorgeous almost floor-to-ceiling window. Divine! I’ve visited Italy twice, but have yet to visit Paris, and I hope to one day!

15. January 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Great photos. I was just listening to Rick Steves talking about New Years celebrations throughout the world and wishing I was in France for the New Year. Some day. Here’s Mine

16. January 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm

While I cannot see what’s in everyb dish, the lunch does look tempting. And the hidden garden is attractive and full of colour.