Saturday Snapshot!

By Lisa. Filed in Saturday Snapshot  |

The long weekend made me lose track of days and I almost forgot it was Saturday! Last week, I spent some time at my mother’s, helping her get the house ready for company. My mom collects coffee cups; she’s got about 3,000 and it felt like twice that many when we were taking them down, washing them and putting them back up on her special shelves. The pictures aren’t great – there’s a lot of glare from the mugs and the mirrors behind them – but you can get an idea what we were up against.

When you’re done looking at the pictures, why not check out my Black Friday Book Bonanza for a chance to win a box of books? It’s better than fighting the crowds at the mall!

1. Comment by Deb Nance at Readerbuzz:

Wow. Three thousand cups! Amazing.

2. Comment by Book Savvy Babe:

oh wow, I know you told me there were a LOT of cups, but seeing the pictures gives a whole new story! Bet you’re ready to not wash a coffee cup for a long long time :) Book Savvy Babe

3. Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy):

Wow, that’s quite a collection! How long has it taken her to get that many?

4. Comment by Vicki:

My mom collected dolls and thimbles, my bil collected miniature glass shoes, and I collect lighthouses. I’ve never know anyone who collected coffee cups, but that’s a great idea!! I love the way she has them displayed! And I see that side wall, does she live in a log cabin? I’ve always wanted to live in one!
    Here’s my Saturday Snapshot

5. Comment by Leslie:

Amazing collection. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many coffee mugs in one place… not even in a coffee shop!

6. Comment by Christine Harding:

What an amazing collection, and how wonderful to keep them all on display. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/zAoio

7. Comment by Laurie Kazmierczak:

Bear With Me…gives a whole new meaning to mug shots??

8. Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea:

I always loved different coffee mugs as well and actually collect Starbucks ones. That being said, I’ve never seen so many mugs in one place — your mom is the “queen collector”.

9. Comment by Nupur:

Oh my- now that’s quite a collection. I don’t think I’ve seen so many mugs together even in stores!

10. Comment by Ginny:

Good grief. That is amazing.

11. Comment by Louise:

That sure is a lot of cups! And a lot of daughterly devotion to help her with all that cleaning.

12. Comment by Alyce:

Wow, she could open a very large coffee shop. :)

13. Comment by Lisa:

To answer a few questions:

She has been collecting them for years. Everyone brings them back from vacation, so she has them from all 50 states and all over the world. She has a whole series of shelves that are just businesses, a couple of shelves of tv shows, etc.

Not a log cabin, but the have log siding inside. Makes the room look very rustic.

My father custom-built the shelves, so she could show them off. There is a display shelf about 8″ from the ceiling that goes all the way around the living room and dining room downstairs. This is only a small part of the collection — there’s no room to display them all at once!