Wondrous Words Wednesday

Okay, it’s a little late in the day, but it is still Wednesday, and I have a couple of words for you. You know how this works – share a few words from your current book that you had to look up, then head over to Bermuda Onion’s Weblog to learn some new ones.

This week, my words are from Walter Mosley’s When the Thrill Is Gone. This review is coming up soon – the book was terrific!

1. Zazen – Zen meditation, usually performed in the lotus position.

It was like the experience of a zazen breath exhaled into a room where it had become both real and ethereal.

2. Nacreous – consisting of or resembling mother-of-pearl

I pressed the nacreous, rectangular button and waited patiently.

That’s it for this week! I haven’t had many good words lately — obviously, I need to find some more challenging books!

What new words did YOU learn this week?

6 comments for “Wondrous Words Wednesday

1. June 1, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I like your words and I know what you mean I haven’t had a ton of new words either. Maybe I’m getting smarter–nah, that’s not it. hehehe

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice to meet you.

2. June 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I know what you mean about finding more challenging books, but both of those words are new to me. Thanks for participating!

3. June 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Zazen sounds fun! Thanks for sharing your words and for visiting mine!

4. June 2, 2011 at 1:15 am

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for stopping by my site earlier, it’s good to ‘meet’ you.

I can’t say that this is a book that I would probably read, although I checked out the synopsis and have to say that it certainly looks quite funny.

You have managed to come up with some great words from it as well, neither of which I had heard of, so of interest to me.

It is funny how I seem to be able to read several books in a row, where I don’t come across any unfamiliar words, then I get a sequence of books where unfamiliar words litter the pages and slow down the reading whilst I look them up to check out a meaning.

5. June 2, 2011 at 8:20 am

Well, they may be just two, but your words are interesting! I’m afraid I don’t like “nacreous”: mother-of-pearl is supposed to be a nice thing, but this word sounds like a bad smell 🙂

6. June 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love the sound of nacreous. In fact I think my favourite shade of nail polish for summer toes could best be described as nacreous. Zazen is less my style, but great to come across the concept.