Saturday Snapshot!

By Lisa. Filed in Saturday Snapshot  |

Well, this has been a long week. I’m at 5 weeks straight on the road, one more week yet to go, at least. And then we start back up in Cincinnati again.

No new photos this week, but I was digging through some old photos and found several shots of hotel rooms I’ve stayed in. American hotel rooms are enormous compared to European rooms. I’ve had some rooms on European business trips that might make good walk-in closets…if you knocked down a couple of walls.

First, Las Vegas! We stayed at the Rio and the rooms were bigger than my first apartment, and had a nicer kitchen. I’m actually standing in the middle of the room — the desk is off to my right and the couch, 2 chairs, coffee table and tv are behind me.

Next, a decent-sized hotel in Hengelo, a small town in The Netherlands. I only ended up with this room because we misunderstood the price on the website. We thought it was in US dollars. Turns out, it was in Euros. Ouch. Note the interesting bed: most double beds in European hotels are actually two single beds. Apparently, they think even married people don’t sleep close together!

And finally, the tiniest of them all. This was taken in the hotel I stayed in during my last work visit to Amsterdam. It was ridiculously tiny, but the hotel has such a great location that I put up with sleeping in a broom closet for several days. Seriously, this is all there was to the room. You can’t see the door of the bathroom, but you’re looking at the whole room.

1. Comment by Lisa@ButteryBooks:

That is a tiny room! I love the headboard at the hotel in the Netherlands.

2. Comment by Louise:

An interesting observation made with photos. Mind you I think I’d rather be in the tiny one in Amsterdam! How exciting.

3. Comment by Kim:

Oh my! Give me the hotel in America any day. How were you not claustrophobic in that last one? And why no double in the middle one? How uncomfortable!
    *smiles*

4. Comment by Cipriano:

Dear Globetrotter:
    Holy moly! No kidding — from awesome to…… college dorm!
    First photo: After a nice day of gambling and squinting in the night time, a peaceful rest.
    Second photo: Hmmm… seems like any sleepers would be part of a science experiment while a scene from a Charlie Chaplin movie hovers over them.
    Third photo: Small print in this hotel’s ad reads “NO INTERNET — and bring your own chiffonier.”

5. Comment by Cathy:

I love seeing the difference in rooms, etc. from country to country. Thanks for sharing!

6. Comment by trish:

Haha US vs European rooms – so true! But location really does trump all, I think. I figure as long as there is a door to close and clean sheets on a bed then I’m all set if I can walk out of the front door and be right where I want to be.

7. Comment by Diane@BibliophileBytheSea:

What great photos — love the headboard on the second one especially.

8. Comment by Kay:

What an interesting study of hotel rooms. LOL

My husband has told me of the European rooms he stayed in. Quite small to our standards and hard him, a big man, to manage. That last one looks a little like a cell. :-)

9. Comment by Kaye:

Wow, that IS tiny! I’d hate to see a couple of sumo wrestlers try to stay there! Ha!

10. Comment by Lisa:

I find it really interesting, Kay, because the Dutch are so tall! You’d figure they would want bigger rooms, so they have someplace to stretch out their legs, but apparently not.

Trish: I find that especially for work travel, I need someplace where I can relax a little at the end of the day. In this case, I was only in town for 3 days so it wasn’t awful, but there’s not way I would have stayed there for longer.

Kim: they don’t have double beds in most hotel rooms there, although I understand from my colleagues that people do have them in their homes. In fact, we chose the hotel we normally use in Amsterdam specifically because it has American-style double beds.

11. Comment by Laurel-Rain Snow:

The hotel in Vegas looks like one we stayed in one week (my daughter and I); our adjoining rooms had kitchenettes and baths in each. Each one was bigger than my first apartment!

I’ve heard that the townhouses in Europe are pretty small, too.

I like seeing these differences. I guess when in Europe, it’s the outside surrounding areas that charm the travelers.

Here’s MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT

12. Comment by bermudaonion (Kathy):

That room in Vegas looks awesome!

13. Comment by Susan:

Haha! I’m thinking that last room looks like the room we stayed in at the Hotel New Amsterdam … same thing tiny room tucked in the eaves under the beautiful gables of this tiny place along one of the canals … the toilet and bathroom shower stall were incorporated so that the toilet got a shower when you did! Now that’s space saving!

14. Comment by Cheryl:

I’m not sure if I love the Netherlands headboard, or if I’d find it sort of looming and distracting…

15. Comment by irene:

Wow they really are tiny. The last one reminds me of my dorm room, it was a kitchenette included. I could roll over in bed and put the kettle on.

16. Comment by Tea Norman:

Boy, have never seen a bed like this one.

17. Comment by Tea Norman:

Moving to WordPress.

18. Comment by Patti Smith:

It’s very interesting to compare hotels across the U.S. and international ones as well…I’m really weird about hotels and I’ve only had a couple of bad experiences…one was in Hawaii, the other in Oakland, CA…I don’t think I would be able to stay in the broom closet one…that’s really really small. The headboard in the Netherlands is definitely cool!!

19. Comment by Bookzilla:

I stayed at a hostel in Prague when I went there. The rooms were big, but the beds were like rocks. The bathroom was down the hall and there was no air conditioning anywhere. Thankfully Prague isn’t too warm, even in June. I would put up with tiny hotel rooms forever if it meant adventuring in Europe!

20. Comment by Alyce:

It must be a huge relief to have an end in sight with the travel. My husband went to Amsterdam a few months ago, and his room was so tiny that there was about a foot between the bed and the wall, and the toilet was inside the shower. The location was great for him though – he could walk to everything.

21. Comment by Eva @View from the Hillside:

Yes, that’s the way it is. Hotel rooms over here are usually small, and most of the hotel rooms I’ve been in in the US have been big. Funny collection of photos :-)

22. Comment by Karen @ Scobberlotch:

That gives one perspective, doesn’t it? I remember on my first trip to England, the guide said I had an “either or room.” Either you fit or your luggage fits, but not both! :)

23. Comment by Lisa:

Alyce, there’s no end in sight to the travel – that’s my job! But at least I should at least have a week at home before we’re back in Cincinnati. After all, it’s been almost 2 months since I was home on trash day — good thing it’s cold out in the garage.

24. Comment by gautami tripathy:

Looks so comfy!

Here is my Saturday Snapshot post!