Teaser Tuesday!

It’s Tuesday and time for another teaser!  You know how this works: take your current read, open it up and choose two teaser sentences.  No spoilers, but be sure to tell us about the book.

This week, I’m reading The Devil’s Star by Jo Nesbo. I do love my detective fiction, and this is a bit different from my usual fare. I am really enjoying it so far — check out this passage:

“That’s when I learned a few things about food. One of which was that blood contains albumin, and if you pour blood into a pan of water over 65 degrees, the blood coagulates and becomes lumpy…When Anders tasted the lumps in the water and said they tasted of egg, I knew it was blood.”

(I edited just a bit to get the good parts of the passage together.  And by the way, the story is set in Oslo, so I am betting they mean 65 degrees celsius.)

So, what’s teasing YOU this week?

15 comments for “Teaser Tuesday!

1. March 16, 2010 at 8:49 am

Kinda gross, but still interested…

2. March 16, 2010 at 8:56 am

Eeww, not nice! Great teaser though – sounds like a good book 🙂

3. March 16, 2010 at 9:57 am

I might be sick. 🙂 My teaser is at The Crowded Leaf.

4. March 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Wow. Wonder why there’s blood in it, I’m SO curious!

My Teaser: He’s Just Not That Into You

5. March 16, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I had no idea blood did that. Interesting. I have not heard of this book, but I will be looking into it.

6. March 16, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Eww, that’s kind of gross! Seems like an odd detective fiction book 🙂 But in a good way

7. March 16, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Okay, that is disgusting. What the hell kind a book is this? It doesn’t sound like the romantic vampire book, this sounds more like the Hannibal Lecter, book. That isn’t a teaser, that is a fricken warning. I hope that you enjoy your book. Here’s mine.

8. March 16, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Eew! I don’t think I want to know why there might be blood in the water.

9. March 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm

What an intriguing fact! I like finding out things like that, and obviously this tidbit would be very useful in certain very specialized contexts. Really good teaser.

MY own teaser is at Bookishgal.

10. March 16, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I’m kinda worried about how the author tested that in order to effectively write about it! Ick…lol

Here are our teasers for this week!

?Isalys

11. March 16, 2010 at 9:08 pm

A very interesting teaser…makes me want to test it, is it true or not…you know about the blood

12. March 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Euuuwwww. Glad you are enjoying it — and that I’ve already had dinner, LOL.

13. Lizzy
    March 16, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Very interesting/creepy teaser! I haven’t heard about this book, but I’ll have to check it out

14. Deb
    March 16, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Creepy! Good teaser. I like mysteries too!

March 17, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Novroz: According to a friend with a wide range of food experience, cooked blood (as you would get in blood pudding or other dishes) tastes metallic and a bit sweet. It has albumin, but that has no flavor. Eggs get their flavor from sulphide compounds and fats.

Isalys: There are actually a number of traditional dishes that use blood. Animal blood, I admit, but blood pudding didn’t get its name from its color!

Lori: No, it is not some cheesy vampire romance. It’s an excellent detective novel. I don’t think it’s disgusting at all – it’s the sort of interesting detail that solves a crime.

Lizzy, Jennifer and others: you can check out Jo’s site at Jo Nesbo.com.