Wondrous Words Wednesday

Okay, I’m a little late, I admit it. Still, I’ve got 2 words that I wanted to share with you before the day is out.

Happy Wednesday — it’s time for some new words! You know how this works – share a few words from your current book that you had to look up, then head over to Bermuda Onion’s Weblog to learn some new ones.

This week, I’m reading This Burns My Heart┬áby Samuel Park. I started it a while ago, put it down and now I really want to get it finished. It takes place in South Korea, but I promise not to post every Korean word I come across. But that doesn’t mean I won’t give you a few of them.

1. Makgeolli – Korean rice wine, made from a mixture of wheat and rice, giving it a milky white color

2. Hanbok – traditional Korean dress. This is a case where a picture might be a better definition:

8 comments for “Wondrous Words Wednesday

1. February 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I’ve seen pictures of hanboks before but never knew their name. I’m guessing makgeolli is similar to saki. Thanks for playing along!

2. February 22, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Great words garnered from your reading, both new and interesting to me!

3. February 22, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Terrific words. I have seen hanboks but didn’t know the name.

4. February 23, 2012 at 6:47 am

Beautiful dress! Thanks for stopping by my Post!

5. February 23, 2012 at 8:38 am

Interesting words!

6. February 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

I’ve seen hanboks before too, but had no idea what they were called. Thanks for the picture, definitely worth a 1000 words sometimes.

7. February 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi Lisa,

I love the sound of this book, a real tear-jerker of a story, emotional and heart-breaking … I can’t wait for you to review this one.

I haven’t come across either of your words before, so I was interested in finding out a little more about both.

The makgeolli sounds terrible and looks like soup, but I’ll bet it has got ‘a kick like a donkey’ and it wouldn’t take much of it to finish off the average person!

I love the image you chose for the hanbok and at first glance it actually looks quite comfortable. When I read up on it and realised that the outfit was in fact a blouse and skirt, I quite quickly stated to revise my opinion. Wearing a skirt that high up the body must be really uncomfortable and restricting don’t you think?

Lovely, unique post

Thanks and have a good weekend

February 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm

You’re exactly right – makgeolli looks like soup, and some of the photos even show it in bowls with a soup spoon. I don’t think it would be to my taste. I like sake, but not the unfiltered kind (which is like trying to drink pudding).

I suppose comfort is relative. Compared to bound feet or very narrow dresses, the dress looks terrific! Although a skirt might not be comfortable so high up, at least you would have freedom of movement with the wide skirt and the fairly loose sleeves.