This isn’t one of my happier pictures. This house is right down the road from me and I am completely appalled at how neglected and ragged this flag has become. It’s so incredibly disrespectful. The flag is wrapped several times around the pole. It is faded and torn, and you can see one of the long strips hanging from it.

My father is Marine and is active in the local Legion, and I’m hoping that he can get someone to do something about this. I know there is a protocol for dealing with old, worn-out flags, but I don’t know if there’s a standard procedure for doing it on someone else’s property. I’m not even sure if the homeowners are the ones who originally put it up, but it’s long past time for it to come down.

22 comments for “Saturday Snapshot

1. March 3, 2012 at 2:00 am

Hi Lisa,

Here, in most areas of the UK, you are not allowed to fly a flag of any description, it depends on the individual councils.

I personally can’t see why we aren’t allowed to fly flags, if it were reserved only to the nationa flag of the Union Jack. However this is deemed as a racist statement in many places, can you believe?

I do think that, wherever it may be, if you are going to fly the flag of your country, then it should be kept in good repair!!

Have a great weekend.

Yvonne

2. March 3, 2012 at 2:23 am

That needs to be taken down or replaced. The American Legion in my area collects old flags for proper disposal. Perhaps one of the Legion members can knock on the door and ask if they’d like to retire the flag.

3. March 3, 2012 at 3:47 am

Ah, Lisa. I see what you mean — but only with a second look, after reading your comments. At first I thought it was overall such a lovely image — but you’re right. I then saw the tattered strip, and the overall wrapped-aroundness of the flag. You’re right, it needs more than maintenance, it needs replacement.
    The Stars and Stripes, in my opinion, is the nicest flag of any country in the world, but this one [like ol’ Willie Nelson] has seen a bit too much wind and sun!

4. March 3, 2012 at 5:24 am

That is a tired flag!

Following on from Yvonne’s comment there are quite a few flags flying round where I live – near the border with Scotland – we see the Union Jack, the Scottish Saltire (St Andrew’s Flag), the Royal Standard of Scotland (a Lion Rampant), the English Flag (St George’s Flag) and the Northumberland Flag (red and yellow). Maybe I should take some photos! It’s an interesting area to live in – more so now with Scottish Independence in question.

5. March 3, 2012 at 7:36 am

In our area, Boy Scouts collect flags for proper disposal. I do hope you can find the right people to take care of that flag – it’s awful to see it flying like that.

6. March 3, 2012 at 7:39 am

That flag looks like it’s done its duty. I hope someone takes care of it.
    In Norway we use our flag a bit more sparingly, so you don’t see as many flags around as in the US. An you’re not allowed to have it up after sunset, doing so would be seen as very unrespectful to the flag.

7. March 3, 2012 at 7:46 am

My husband is always bothered when he see something like that. Hopefully it will be replaced.

8. March 3, 2012 at 8:02 am

Poor flag. There’s a few around my town that look like that too. I don’t understand why the people don’t give them a proper retirement.

9. March 3, 2012 at 8:28 am

A tired flag indeed, and worn out. That’s disrespectful for a flag of any country.

I remember one year when we went to visit friends in Colorado. They had their Canadian flag out on their flagpole on the front porch to welcome us. They had brought one back with them after living in Canada for awhile. What a welcome!

10. Kaye
    March 3, 2012 at 8:45 am

You’re so right! My husband is a veteran and belongs to the local sub vets club and he goes ballistic when he sees a flag like this. His club has a collection box for worn flags and the veterans dispose of them in the correct way and respectfully.

11. March 3, 2012 at 8:59 am

I might be tempted to present the landowner with a new flag and ask if the local Boy Scot troop could retire their old one as a community service. This IS a sad picture … but one that makes us think.

12. March 3, 2012 at 9:16 am

Definitely needs to be repaired! There must be someone in authority who can address it without bringing you into it…good luck!

Here’s MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT

13. March 3, 2012 at 9:28 am

I could see why you’d be dismayed by this photo. It’s funny to read that people in other countries can’t fly their national flags. I wonder if they can fly those flags with geese and Mickey Mouse on them.Here’s Mine

14. March 3, 2012 at 11:32 am

Yep, that’s not good. I agree with all those who mentioned the boy scouts, since I know our local troop helps with that. It’s so difficult when it’s dealing with neighbors though.

15. March 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Might be that the current neighbours weren’t the ones to put it up or maybe they have health problems. I don’t know but perhaps somebody or the boy scouts could ask them if they’d like help changing or removing it.

16. March 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm

My goodness!! Don’t the people living in the house realize that flag is past it’s “Glory” days? It definitely needs to be replaced!
    HERE’S MY SS

17. March 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I think a call to the American Legion is a good idea. It definitely should not be on display in this condition. I wonder if it has been forgotten given it’s on a telephone pole.

18. March 3, 2012 at 8:28 pm

You raised a valid point…

Here is my Saturday
    Snapshot
    post!

19. March 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm

aww, poor flag. I would want to fix it too…

20. March 10, 2012 at 8:16 am

Hhmm that’s a tricky situation. There are some good suggestions here, though. I’m always amazed and a little chagrined when I see a house that is very much lived in with flags that are flopping around in tatters. Such a shame.

21. March 10, 2012 at 9:30 am

Good shot that tells a story, even if it’s not a happy one.

22. March 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

I hope they are able to put another one up.. it would be great to see an after shot 🙂