Teaser Tuesday: Winter’s Bone

I cannot believe a whole week has slipped by and I haven’t had a post! Well, I sort of can — last week I was out of town and pretty busy, and this week has started out rough. But I finished a couple of good books and I have a great teaser this week from my latest, Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell. It’s a book that makes me very angry for Ree Dolly, though she is not a girl who needs anyone else to stand for her. The writing is haunting and beautiful, and I’ll be done with this one all too quickly:

“Ree followed a path made by prey uphill through scrub, across a bald knob and downhill into a section of pine trees and pine scent and that pious shade and silence pines create. Pine trees, with low limbs spread over fresh snow made a stronger vault for the spirit than pews and pulpits ever could.”

I don’t think there is anyone who has ever walked through a pine forest in the snow who would not agree. Check back later this week for my review.

What’s teasing YOU this week?

8 comments for “Teaser Tuesday: Winter’s Bone

1. March 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

Truly awesome…and I could almost literally smell the scent of the pines as I read this….it’s going on my list!

Here’s MY TT POST

2. KC
    March 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

I love the sensory description in your teaser!

Please check out mine: http://bythebybooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday_22.html

3. March 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

Nice — really paints the scene.

4. March 22, 2011 at 10:13 am

Great teaser! Sets up a great scene! I haven’t walked through pine trees in the snow, but in the fall for sure! My teaser is up at Coffee Table Press

5. March 22, 2011 at 10:23 am

Wow, that is beautiful and evocative and yes, I totally feel that she put me there. Thanks for sharing!

6. Mardel
    March 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Oh yes, to have a church-like or spiritual experience, I think it’s always nicer to do at a beach or in a forest. It’s just better. Of course, we can’t have ALL churchgoers going to the forests and beaches on the same day, it would end up not so serene, so let’s keep this on the DL, shall we? 🙂

7. March 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I hope that you are enjoying your book. Here is my Teaser For Tuesday.

8. March 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Hmm. Sounds quite intriguing! Thanks for dropping by my blog today! Here’s mine: http://beltwayliterature.com/2011/03/22/teaser-tuesday-another-capital-tease/